- Do you suffer from excruciating period pain?
- Does it prevent you from getting out of bed, or attending work or school?
- Do you suffer from irregular or prolonged periods or bleeding?
- Do you experience mid cycle pain and/or bleeding?
- Do you suffer from digestive discomfort, bloating, constipation or diarrhoea of a cyclical nature?
- Is sex painful?
- Do you often feel fatigued and lack energy?
- Does PMS affect your day to day life and/or relationships?
Endometriosis is a condition in which the endometrial lining of the uterus retrogrades back down the fallopian tubes and into the peritoneal cavity of the body. Due to the fact that it is reproductive tissue stimulated by oestrogen, and has no way of being eliminated from the body; it builds up and breaks down during a female’s monthly cycle, adhering to the internal organs. This goes on to cause a range of often debilitating symptoms including (but not limited to) pain, heavy menstruation and infertility.
It is thought that a staggering 1 in 8 women are afflicted by endometriosis during their lifetime. While for some it can asymptomatic and they may not even realise they have it; for a lot of women it can be a debilitating condition that affects quality of life on a daily basis. While the cause of endometriosis is still unknown, there are three main factors that are thought to contribute to or influence its development and severity:
- Immune system dysfunction/inflammation
Endometriosis can only be diagnosed by laparoscopic surgery and conventional management is most commonly through use of synthetic oral contraceptives. There are, however, many ways that natural medicine can help to support the management of endometriosis in order to reduce symptoms and improve quality of life for its sufferers.
By looking at all of the factors in your life that may be influencing or aggravating your hormonal health, your Naturopath can work with you to design and implement a tailored treatment protocol to rebalance your hormones and get you feeling great again. Through a combination of salivary hormone testing, nutritional advice and supplementation, a natural therapeutic approach may be just what your body needs in order to heal and regain its balance. Some of the benefits of natural medicine in the management of endometriosis may include:
- Reduced pain and inflammation
- Lighter, more manageable periods
- A decrease in PMS symptoms
- Improved energy and digestive function
- Improved stress management
- Increased chances of optimal fertility